Go Back   Anime Forum > General Anime/Manga & Cosplay > Specific Anime Discussions > Anime Reviews

Anime Reviews Read and post in our Anime Reviews

Unread 04-17-2011, 01:52 AM
Citizen

Points: 20,760, Level: 99 Points: 20,760, Level: 99 Points: 20,760, Level: 99
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Overlord-G has shown loyalty and contrubutedOverlord-G has shown loyalty and contrubuted
Send a message via MSN to Overlord-G Send a message via Yahoo to Overlord-G
Default 111th G-View: CinAnime 9: Summer Wars

Hello and welcome to the G-Views, where creativity is respected and Dokuro-chan is rejected. The time has finally come for yours truly to review one of the best animated movies of 2010. Revered by many and for good reason. This is Summer Wars!

Genres: action, comedy, romance, thriller
Themes: computers, family, social-networking, technology
Running time: 113 minutes
G-Rating: 8/10

Plot Summary: When timid eleventh-grader and math genius Kenji Koiso is asked by older student and secret crush Natsuki to come with her to her family’s Nagano home for a summer job, he agrees without hesitation. Natsuki’s family, the Jinnouchi clan, dates back to the Muromachi era, and they’ve all come together to celebrate the 90th birthday of the spunky matriarch of the family, Sakae. That’s when Kenji discovers his “summer job” is to pretend to be Natsuki’s fiancé and dance with her at the birthday celebration. As Kenji attempts to keep up with Natsuki’s act around her family, he receives a strange math problem on his cell phone which, being a math genius, he can’t resist solving. As it turns out, the solution to the mysterious equation causes a hijacking of the social networking site through which most of the world's social and business traffic flows

That's pretty much all you need to know about the story. The other part of the story involves Kenji and the Jinnouchi clan dealing with Love Machine''s attack on all of Japan's technology. Then some real world events take place and a certain event triggers the assault portion of the movie where the Kenji and the male members of the Jinnouchi family prepare for battle. Even the baseball player of the family is playing in the finals while the men duke it out the Love Machine. I can sum up the real world's story in just two words: Family Matters. Done and done.

The animation is just awesome. Oz and all of the diverse avatars from King Kazma to Love Machine and even Squirrel Boy look awesome. Oz looks like a white void filled with tons of data and software flying all around with a Kyubey-esque centerpiece. In short, eye candy in both Oz and the outside world. When the action scenes take place, you know when the war actually starts, prepare to have some well deserved eye candy.

Music: When the mood demands great music, it delivers where it should. It has some soft digital tones to it. I like this approach where the music is only used when necessary and doesn't interrupt any of the dialogue.

Characters: To be honest, the men in the movie were the ones who stole the show. They were all funny and epic as can be. Now ladies, please don't send me hate mail just yet, hear me out first. You see, the women...acted like regular women. They did exactly what regular women would do during the events in the story. Kenji's a likable (and lucky) guy. He's cool. Natsuki on the other hand...again, acted like her character was supposed to. She's an immature senior who let her emotions get in the way of logical thinking. The other ladies were cool in their own way but Natsuki was the least entertaining. She didn't suck per se, she just didn't contribute much...until near the climax that is. Sorry, but that still doesn't count in my opinion. However, the one woman I'm sure everyone can agree on rocked throughout the whole movie was Grandma. A natural born leader. It's no wonder everyone in the family respects her and holds her so dear in their hearts. This also explains why Natsuki went through all the trouble of getting Kenji to pretend to be her boyfriend. Grandma was that much of a badass.

I have two minor complaints however:
1: If a guy doesn't have rugged, good looks, why pray tell does it always have to take world saving for him to get the girl?
2: Why do local movie makers enjoy making international villains? This one's petty because it's nothing new at all. Still, it's an annoying cliche.

In conclusion: I see this movie as an anime version of Live Free and Die Hard, except the battle takes place online instead of in the streets. Plus the main antagonist is much more intimidating than that wussy cyber terrorist. Visually it is amazing, plot and pacing was alright. Great movie overall..
Unread 04-18-2011, 10:24 PM
Magic Clan
OC Guild
Resting Senior Section Leader Mod
Master Mage

Points: 51,380, Level: 100 Points: 51,380, Level: 100 Points: 51,380, Level: 100
Asamoya Has shown honour and chivalryAsamoya Has shown honour and chivalryAsamoya Has shown honour and chivalry
Send a message via AIM to Asamoya
Default Re: 111th G-View: CinAnime 9: Summer Wars

I recently watched this and loved it, the animation was absolutley amazing and I couldn't keep my eyes off it.

Lol, it reminds me of Live Free and Die Hard now that you mention it.
Unread 04-18-2011, 10:25 PM
Citizen: Magic Clan.
Expert Mage

Points: 10,733, Level: 71 Points: 10,733, Level: 71 Points: 10,733, Level: 71
Random88 has shown loyalty and contrubutedRandom88 has shown loyalty and contrubuted

It's a good movie. I was watching it and my brother asked "Are you watching the Digimon Movie" It turns out the director of this was also the director of the first two digimon movies
Unread 04-18-2011, 11:29 PM
Citizen

Overlord-G has shown loyalty and contrubutedOverlord-G has shown loyalty and contrubuted

There was a second Digimon movie? Anyway, it was a cool film.
Unread 06-08-2011, 09:02 PM

Points: 3,143, Level: 36 Points: 3,143, Level: 36 Points: 3,143, Level: 36
Myki is on a distinguished road

I loved this movie and can't find enough relatives to share it with.

Two differences of opinion.
I agree the men were great. Living in a Japanese family, I found it very typical. The men were using their work resources while the women carried on. But, the reason I decided to buy the BR disc was the review that praised the female characters. I agreed that Grandmother with her rotary dial phone and diverse contacts, and the baseball fan aunt glued to the local high school games, until circumstances halted it, were the elements that made the movie more down to earth and fun to watch. It was these family touches that roped me in. I can watch adventure anywhere. A family film that looks like a real family is rare. The older women fading into the background and getting things done without ceremony is what I've grown used to.
Secondly. I realized in my second watching, in spite of her crush on Wabusuke, Natsuki was interested in Kenji from the beginning. That's why she invited him in the first place. (I know she pretended to invite them both, but it was him, she hoped, to agree.) Kenji had her long before his idea, to use the family skills, helped HER save the world.
The bottom line was, from the nerdy recluse, Kazuma, to the prodigal Wabusuke. everyone had a roll to play on the family battlefield and once they worked together, they were unbeatable.

Last edited by Myki; 06-08-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Unread 06-09-2011, 01:42 AM
Citizen

I didn't say that the women sucked, I just thought of them as semi-stereotypical, then again I don't live in a very large family so I guess it boils down to how well the viewer receives the family and that's cool. I still think it's a great movie.

Oh, despite your valid points as to Natsuki's defense, I still consider her to be the ;east useful character on the show till the climactic battle where she finally did something besides contemplating her youthful mistake.