Go Back   Anime Forum > General Anime/Manga & Cosplay > Specific Anime Discussions > Anime Reviews

Anime Reviews Read and post in our Anime Reviews

Unread 06-06-2011, 01:50 PM
Citizen

Points: 18,038, Level: 92 Points: 18,038, Level: 92 Points: 18,038, Level: 92
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Overlord-G has shown loyalty and contrubutedOverlord-G has shown loyalty and contrubuted
Send a message via MSN to Overlord-G Send a message via Yahoo to Overlord-G
Default 117th G-View: Nichijou

Hello and welcome to the G-Views, where creativity is respected and Dokuro-chan is rejected. Humor differs from person to person. Some people like their comedy to have a direction or punch line. Then there are enjoy dark humor, parodies, satire, spoofs, dirty jokes, insults, pointless cussing etc. My taste is kind of similar, yet not at the same time. There are times where I seek out comedy without a sense of direction, that makes absolutely no sense and its humor isn’t thought provoking in the slightest, more like induces head scratching. Shows that make you ponder as to why it’s funny in the first place. That’s what I sometimes crave and that’s what Nichijou offers.

Alternative Title: My "Ordinary" Life.

Genres: comedy, fantasy, psychological, slice of life

Themes: School life

Number of episodes: 26 + Bonus episode 0

G-Rating: 8.5/10. 1/10 for those who don't get mindless comedy.

Plot Summary: While the title suggests a story of simple, everyday school life, the contents are more the opposite. The setting is a strange school where you may see the principal wrestle a deer or a robot's arm hide a roll cake. However there are still normal stories, like making a card castle or taking a test you didn't study for.

Nonsensical, directionless, random, incomprehensible, insane, wacky, stupid and glorious: These are the words I use to both describe and praise Nichijou for. It’s no Excel Saga by any means, but it doesn’t have to be in order to be good. It’s a free for all brain cells damaging laugh fest and I’m so glad I picked this one up.

Allow me to explains show works. You see, the two main groups that get the most focus are: The trio of Yuko, Mai and Mio, and the group of The Professor, Nano the robot and Sakamoto the talking cat, and their everyday lives. Alongside these groups and their skits, there are many other skits involving the rest of the cast whose screen time greatly differ, some getting more skits than others. Now the whole point of each chapter or sketch isn't continuity, it's the punchline. Each and every chapter or sketch must have one punchline or conclusion that the buildup leads to. If it doesn't have one, then it's up to the viewer to ponder the skit's meaning. But that's not all. Many of the chapters have successfully implemented the art of humorously making something incredibly simple, melodramatically epic. This means that the buildup to the punchline is in my opinion the show's main selling point.You'll find some previews as you continue reading.

The show also includes skits such as "The Jump rope" and Jan Ken Pon. Lastly there's Break Time. This last one refers to short intervals during chapters that serve to either calm the viewer down and prepare them for something big near the chapter's climax or to show off even more randomnes.

Animation: Now personally, I have no complaints with the visuals since it kind of works with what this show’s going for…however, in order to avoid lawsuits and hate mail from art critics, I will admit that the drawing style and presentation of the show are its weakest attribute. It’s not something that will win awards at art shows that’s for sure. AH SCREW IT! Some of the girls are so damn adorable, especially Mai Minakami.

Look at this face and just try and tell me that it isn’t cute. I dare you.

Music: As over the top as it gets. There are some sketches where the music is so unnecessarily epic that it works. I mean, sometimes, there are situations where nothing groundbreaking or Earth Shattering is going on…but the epic tone of the music makes the sketch all the more humorous. The OP and ED are also nice to listen to. Other times when it’s not being epic, it gives an old school Western cartoon feel to it. Good stuff.

Characters: I really don’t feel like describing them all in detail, so check this out.

Humor: you either like it or you don’t, it’s that simple. Some sketches, like the Notebook of Doom, will definitely bring smiles to everyone’s faces because of how ridiculously, unnecessarily epic it is, while other sketches will have mixed results. It’s like Squid Girl. Even though I really like Squid Girl, I can understand how some of the jokes and sketches don’t appeal to everyone. I’ll put it this way, for those who seek understanding in their humor and crave comedy that has direction or a point; this is not what you’re looking for. If you crave wacky, unpredictable insanity, then you’ll enjoy this.

It's for people with distinct tastes for the nonsensical. Not everyone enjoys shows with no direction whatsoever. That's what makes shows like this, Lucky Star, Pani Poni Dash etc, so appealing to me, the lack of common sense. I enjoy shows like this because it gives me the stress relief I need by exposing things that aren't nearly as insane as a Malkavian's cranium but enough to make one blow up their head because of the constant questions that boil down to "what's the point"?

In conclusion: I think the humor portion of the review says it all but to shorten it; this show isn’t for everyone, despite the high review I gave it. I love mindless comedy and welcome it every now and then, but not everyone shares this passion, which is okay. Take this review for what its worth and decide for yourself whether this is for you or not.

Last edited by Overlord-G; 07-02-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Unread 06-27-2011, 10:14 PM
Resting SupermodResting Senior mod Exp'
Flightleader Dragon

Points: 48,683, Level: 100 Points: 48,683, Level: 100 Points: 48,683, Level: 100
+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry
Send a message via MSN to +Masamune+ Send a message via Skype™ to +Masamune+
Default Re: 117th G-View: Nichijou

i really gotta watch this one mainly because the character looks like a sophisticated Osaka from Azumanga Daioh
thanks for the review

"Tell me what you cherish the most, give me the pleasure of taking it away."
Unread 06-28-2011, 05:43 PM
Citizen

Overlord-G has shown loyalty and contrubutedOverlord-G has shown loyalty and contrubuted

I made a mistake. I initially thought the show would only be 12 episodes but it's actually 24. Oh well, more for me and some others to watch then.
Unread 12-17-2011, 09:41 AM
Flightleader Dragon

Points: 48,683, Level: 100 Points: 48,683, Level: 100 Points: 48,683, Level: 100
+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry

are all the episodes out now? i was going to watch this when all of them came out

Unread 12-17-2011, 04:42 PM
Citizen

I've delayed the 2nd half of the series for a while but the show ended months ago. All 26 episodes are ready and accounted for. I'll review the 2nd half eventually.
Unread 12-19-2011, 12:58 AM
Flightleader Dragon

awesome, ill start on it when i got some time on my hands

Unread 12-19-2011, 12:58 AM
Flightleader Dragon

awesome, ill start on it soon then

Unread 12-19-2011, 06:39 PM
Citizen: Royal Clan.
OC Guild
Fighter

Points: 15,282, Level: 85 Points: 15,282, Level: 85 Points: 15,282, Level: 85
Materia User has shown loyalty and contrubutedMateria User has shown loyalty and contrubuted

it seems similar to maybe lucky star, in terms of the way the show progresses?
Unread 12-20-2011, 01:35 AM
Citizen

Nope. It's random, yes but this show relies much more on physical humor (not so much slapstick) and punchlines rather than bizarre and random conversations like Lucky Star did.
Unread 12-20-2011, 02:13 AM
Citizen: Royal Clan.
OC Guild
Fighter

Points: 15,282, Level: 85 Points: 15,282, Level: 85 Points: 15,282, Level: 85
Materia User has shown loyalty and contrubutedMateria User has shown loyalty and contrubuted

ah ok, I might actually like it more then.