Go Back   Anime Forum > General Anime/Manga & Cosplay > Specific Anime Discussions > Anime Reviews

Anime Reviews Read and post in our Anime Reviews

Unread 07-02-2011, 12:55 PM
Citizen

Points: 20,760, Level: 99 Points: 20,760, Level: 99 Points: 20,760, Level: 99
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Overlord-G has shown loyalty and contrubutedOverlord-G has shown loyalty and contrubuted
Send a message via MSN to Overlord-G Send a message via Yahoo to Overlord-G
Default 123rd G-View: Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko

Hello and welcome to The G-Views, where creativity is respected and Dokuro-chan is rejected. You know, there comes a show where you can't exactly describe where its appeal lies in terms of plot when it really doesn't have one, or had one but forgot about it later on. The following show is one such case. Let's take a look at Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko.
Genres: comedy, romance
Themes: astrology
Number of episodes: 12 + Bonus episode 13

G-Rating: 7.5/10

Plot Summary: The story revolves around a highschool boy named Niwa Makoto. He lives with his aunt’s family since his parents are away on business. It is there where he meets his mysterious cousin of the same age Touwa Erio — who happens to tie a futon mattress around her upper body and is a self-proclaimed alien. Her staple food is pizza. Erio had been missing for half a year and was found floating in the sea. She doesn't remember anything about what happened during that period of time, but she began to think that it was the act of an alien and wanders the neighbourhood wrapped in the futon.

I really don't know where to begin describing what this show's about other than it being a lighthearted harem, mixed with past issues, male puberty, quirkiness and reestablishing yourself in society...I think.

Past issues: Pretty much self explanatory.

Male puberty: A somewhat central theme where our male lead, Niwa Makoto, evaluates his adolescence points based on his encounters with other girls, such as going to their homes, getting close to them, Meme survival, etc.

Quirkiness: Most of the cast is calm, yet abnormal at the same time.

Reestablishing yourself in society: A certain character has been out of contact with people for a long time, resulting in a decrease of social skills, thus creating a difficult road to become accepted by the populous once again.

You see, what I'm getting at is that halfway through the show after a certain dilemma is somewhat resolved, another one is created but not much emphasis is placed on resolving it or continuing the plot afterward. The focus then goes on character development in the form of both mini-flashbacks and a few intervals. In short, character driven rather than plot. It kind of takes a Slice of Life approach, hoping there will be enough viewers for a 2nd season, especially after the show's season finale. Still, it's pretty cool learning more about a majority of the cast, even the most minor of roles is given some exposure.

Animation: If you want me to go into full detail on describing Shaft's animation style, go check out some of my other SHAFT anime reviews such as Madoka and Vampire Bund, because most pf their trademark animation is present on this show as well. What's noticeable here is the emphasis on sparkly hair. I don't know exactly what purpose it serves other than portraying certain people's sparkling beauty under the moon or sunlight...or their hidden potential revealed. The focus is on primarily on the former (radiant beauty).

Music: The show's weakest aspect due to it not being neither memorable or noticeable. The ED's cute though.

The characters: Doods and peeps, please join me on a little safari as we venture forth into the suburban savannah and witness otaku wet dream wildlife at its fullest...and their prey.

Niwa Makoto: (Plainus Genericus).

Other than his quest for adolescence points and being a Kyon from Haruhi Suzumiya wannabe with his inner monologue style narration, there really isn't much to this guy. He's just a guy who hit puberty, that's it. Oh, and he somehow stumbled upon a 4 leaf harem-clover. He doesn't suck or is particularly noticeable, he's just...okay. Who cares about the prey, it's the predators everyone talks about so let's get to it.

Here's something unusual about the predators: It's clear as day that they're hungry for platypus flesh and yearn to feast on it, but these particular predators are patient. They don't exactly take the initiative but rather fiddle around with their meal (Some more than others) They don't compete with each other over fresh meat and share...even though deep inside they have an insatiable urge to best the competition and claim their generic prize.

I will separate the predators by species, starting with the Star Bears.

Erio Touwa: (Otakumus fetishukus)

Where do I begin describing this small bear cub? Adorable, super timid, is a member of the C.C. Pizza Hut organization, wears clothing that often reveals her right shoulder, soft spoken. She has jail bait written all over her. Still, I can understand her allure.

Meme Touwa: (MILFUS MAXIMUS)

A 40 year old star bear and of course this means she's the most experienced and deadliest predator of them all. Now the reason why she's my fav character on the show is not just because she's the most bootylicious mother to appear on an anime screen since Delia Ketchum but it's also because of how unpredictable she is. Some of her fans/victims would label her as a mature woman hungry for young platypus blood but that's not how I see it. I think she just REALLY likes to play with her food. She's fully aware that her plaything has no sexual interest in her but she still plays with her meal because she enjoys teasing a boy who hit puberty. Another reason I like her best is because of all the character specific episodes, I enjoyed hers the most. The woman intrigues me, just like Delia did back when I was a young Pokemon fan.

Yashiro the Zodiac Bear:When two bears astrological bears collide

The Zodiac bear (seen on the right next to Erio on the left) is similar to the Star Bear species except it isn't a predator but merely a bystander viewing the events as they unfold. An extremely rare creature that has been rumored to only have been seen in the mountains of Nepal and the streets of Argentina. The ZB is known to use a similar dialect as the young star bear but with the addition of being a wise ass and sharp tongued as well. It is rumored that a ZB was involved in both the kidnapping of Rebecca Miyamoto by Extraterrestrial beings and the inspiration of Haruhi Suzumiya's alien and esper fetishes. For those who are curious as to what the ZB looks like underneath her snow white fur, you have three options:

1: Watch the show and find out when the ZB makes her debut.

2: Go check out an episodic review blog and ruin the surprise for yourselves.

3: Google.

If you've already read some of the novels, then never mind.

Let's move on to the other two predators:

Maekawa: (Bizarrus mimicus)

An experimental fusion between a giraffe and a chameleon. This particular giraffamelon is the calmest of all the predators. She's also hungry for blood but takes the least initiative. Heck she even has a hard time remembering her prey's name, choosing to address him as "transfer student" throughout the show. This sly creature also has the ability to camouflage itself with different shells giving her many strange disguises. It is also somewhat troubled by its tall height being taller than even the platypus. Giraffameleons are known to be expert bartenders and economists. I'm guessing this beautiful young lady was trying out for a part in a sequel for Master of Disguise but didn't quite make the cut due to there never being a sequel in the first place. Poor lass. Oh well, at least she won the admiration of many.

Ryuuko/Ryuushi: (Hyperius organicus) Fedoras RULE!

This is my favorite pic of her. Ryuushi, a chimpanzee with ants in her pants as she cannot stay still for longer than 5 minutes. It's like she's playing a character inside a character, being hyperactive just to get attention. I'm not sure how accurate this is but I'm guessing this is the otaku nation's most popular predator while she is my least favorite. I don't dislike her per se, I just don't think much of her. She has a lame running gag, is extremely energetic, tries incredibly to be both adorable and the center of attention, is the most attracted to the platypus and seems to be the most charismatic even though I disagree. Sure I get a giggle from her but that doesn't mean I support her.

In conclusion: Despite not having a solid conclusion, this show's still worth a watch because it contains both classic Shaft style of humor and lighthearted antics that will please any animeniac apart from the "usual crowd or geezers".

Last edited by Overlord-G; 07-02-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Unread 07-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Citizen: Magic Clan.
Expert Mage

Points: 10,733, Level: 71 Points: 10,733, Level: 71 Points: 10,733, Level: 71
Random88 has shown loyalty and contrubutedRandom88 has shown loyalty and contrubuted
Default Re: 123rd G-View: Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko

I really enjoyed this show. Really odd and off-beat style of humor with a good cast of characters. Really like the ending theme. The opening theme I found annoying at first but it really grew on me.

It should be noted that there is actually 13 episodes. Only 12 were shown on T.V due to the earthquake in March delaying the anime schedule. The 13th episode will be on the DVD when it's released.

Anyway good review.
Unread 07-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Citizen

Overlord-G has shown loyalty and contrubutedOverlord-G has shown loyalty and contrubuted

Noted and repaired. BTW, are you a stalker now Randomly monotonous one?
Thanks for the correction dood.
Unread 07-02-2011, 07:20 PM
Resting SupermodResting Senior mod Exp'
Flightleader Dragon

Points: 51,883, Level: 100 Points: 51,883, Level: 100 Points: 51,883, Level: 100
+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry
Send a message via MSN to +Masamune+ Send a message via Skype™ to +Masamune+

"mixed with past issues, male puberty, quirkiness and reestablishing yourself in society...I think."
sounds like Welcome to the N.H.K.

i might give this a watch, i like the art style. thanks for the review

"Tell me what you cherish the most, give me the pleasure of taking it away."
Unread 07-02-2011, 10:12 PM
Citizen

I guess this means I'll have to check out N.H.K sometime in the future.
Unread 07-02-2011, 10:51 PM
Resting SupermodResting Senior mod Exp'
Flightleader Dragon

Points: 51,883, Level: 100 Points: 51,883, Level: 100 Points: 51,883, Level: 100
+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry
Send a message via MSN to +Masamune+ Send a message via Skype™ to +Masamune+

its a really good anime, you should at least watch the first 2 episodes asap lol

"Tell me what you cherish the most, give me the pleasure of taking it away."
Unread 07-02-2011, 10:56 PM
Citizen

I'll definitely tput the show on my schedule. In the meantime, check this show out as well when possible dood.