Go Back   Anime Forum > General Anime/Manga & Cosplay > Specific Anime Discussions > Anime Reviews

Anime Reviews Read and post in our Anime Reviews

Unread 09-04-2011, 01:42 AM
Citizen

Points: 20,760, Level: 99 Points: 20,760, Level: 99 Points: 20,760, Level: 99
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Overlord-G has shown loyalty and contrubutedOverlord-G has shown loyalty and contrubuted
Send a message via MSN to Overlord-G Send a message via Yahoo to Overlord-G
Default 131st G-View: CinAnime 11; Redline

Hey doods and peeps. Welcome to another episode of the G-Views. This time we're taking a look at a movie that's hit the internet by storm last month and certainly got them pumped, for good reason. Join me as we get ready to Shift into Turbo and crank up the nitro babeh! This is Redline.

Genres: action, science fiction, tournament
Themes: racing
Running time: 101 minutes.
G-Rating: 8/10

Plot summary: Red Line is about the biggest racing game of the universe and it's only held once every 5 years. And naturally everyone wants to take part. Follow the racings skills of men and women alike.

This movie is like an homage to many racing games and other movies like F-Zero, Carmageddon, Wacky Races, The Fast and the Furious, Death Race and the Star Wars racing segment in Tattooine…why was that popular again?

Speaking of Wacky Races:

Pointless Nostalgia pluuuuuuuug!

Or to put it even shorter it’s F-Zero meets Fast and the Furious with a touch of Cool World’s insanity.

That’s all you really need to know because the plot itself is so nonsensical and so 80’s-mid 90’s tripe that you don’t need to turn your brain on at all to understand what’s going on. This is literally a “just roll with it” kind of movie. I’ll try and sum up the plot as best as I can anyway. Redline is a no holds barred intergalactic street racing competition that’s also illegal and the next big race will be held in Roboworld, where its government is completely against it. That’s it. Oh there’s supposedly a very minor romance thing with some flashbacks but it’s about as relevant as the movie Grease. Basically you won’t give a crap about any of the drivers…except Super Boins, “slurp” they rock.

The movie’s pacing goes something like this: Race 1, 45 minute break-ish introduction to the drivers, their allies, Roboworld government, aliens clearly inspired by Star Wars and F-Zero, and finally the big action packed Redline race that I’m sure will leave you at the edge of your seat and require ALL of your energy to get through it. Oh yeah, the race is THAT wild. Speaking of wild, my one major gripe with this movie is that the song “Born to be Wild” was never used. It fits perfectly!

The animation reminds me of animated American comics brought to life. It’s quite fluent as all the oddities are very well detailed with slick motions, powdy lips and freaky tongue twisting. Heck even the old geezers and ugly bastards are well animated. It’s a REALLY colourful and bright movie. This movie is not for the colour blind. Personally, the animation is the best part of the entire movie along with the races themselves. There’s so much random insanity going on that the few seconds the movie decides to slow down should be cherished as much as possible. Thankfully the fanservice isn’t extremely excessive since there are only 3 female characters worth drooling over (Super Boins…mmmmm). Oh, and there’s a scene where Sonoshee is watching the Redline Network news topless for some reason. Hey, I don’t mind at all. It brings back memories of the Chun-Li shower scene from the Street Fighter 2 animated movie.

Yes, this movie even has swindling space chickens.

Music: Rock and rollah madness with some minor techno. The Redline girls are kinda annoying though.

Characters: I'll keep this short.

JP is John Travolta from Grease.

Sonoshee Mclaren is every single hot rod babe you can think of who loves their cars more than men. (There's more to her I guess but just watch the movie)

Machinehead is Frankenstein's Monster with an attitude and a a snazzy cape.

Gori-Rider is a bad cop racer.

Miki and Todoroki are similar to Gomar and Shioh, except M and T are humans.

Lynchmen and Johnnyboya are a poor man's Blood Falcon and

Superboins are from what I can gather...space witches who are part of a space witch empire ruled by a space princess...and their car can do something really neat.

Trava and Shinkai...I'll cover these guys when I review their prequel OVA.

In conclusion: Redline is an animated comic book about intergalactic death races brought to life on the big screen with as much flash, flair, freakishness, hardcore adrenaline rushes that would make normal humans’ brains explode in seconds, some hot chicks, lots of Star Wars and F-Zero inspired characters/aliens and lots of action with Michael Bay quality explosions. It’s a blast to watch and I’ve become manlier after watching it for some reason.

One important thing I forgot to mention. It has come to my attention that some people have denied watching this movie because they don't like racing.........this is an animated racing movie where there are no rules. You don't have to like racing in order to enjoy it. Pretend it's Summer Wars on wheels. Think about it, why do you think people liked Summer Wars?

Last edited by Overlord-G; 09-04-2011 at 02:51 AM.
Unread 09-04-2011, 02:08 AM
Citizen: Royal Clan.
OC Guild
Fighter

Points: 17,401, Level: 91 Points: 17,401, Level: 91 Points: 17,401, Level: 91
Materia User has shown loyalty and contrubutedMateria User has shown loyalty and contrubuted
Default Re: 131st G-View: CinAnime 11; Redline

racing has never and will never be my thing... games, anime, etc.

that said, you did a good job with the review.
Unread 09-04-2011, 02:44 AM
Citizen

Overlord-G has shown loyalty and contrubutedOverlord-G has shown loyalty and contrubuted

And yet another Nascar hater reveals himself. Besides, you do realize that you don't have to like racing to like this movie.
Unread 09-04-2011, 05:06 AM
Resting SupermodResting Senior mod Exp'
Flightleader Dragon

Points: 51,883, Level: 100 Points: 51,883, Level: 100 Points: 51,883, Level: 100
+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry
Send a message via MSN to +Masamune+ Send a message via Skype™ to +Masamune+

those swindling space chickens get you every time

it looks pretty good, i might watch it some time this weekend
thanks for the review

"Tell me what you cherish the most, give me the pleasure of taking it away."
Unread 09-04-2011, 07:05 AM
Citizen

Oh yes, they are wily creatures those space chickens.It shouldn't take too much of your free time so rock on and prepare to get exhausted in the final act.
Unread 09-06-2011, 05:27 AM
Citizen: Royal Clan.
OC Guild
Fighter

Points: 17,401, Level: 91 Points: 17,401, Level: 91 Points: 17,401, Level: 91
Materia User has shown loyalty and contrubutedMateria User has shown loyalty and contrubuted

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorG View Post
And yet another Nascar hater reveals himself. Besides, you do realize that you don't have to like racing to like this movie.
well you sorta said the same thing with Saki I think it was, the Mahjong show.

I watched some of it, and I liked the characters, but since I don't know mahjong, I didn't really understand some of the stuff. maybe it worked for you, but not for me.
I even tried learning mahjong, both for the sake of the show, and others (Higurashi mentions a little of mahjong too.) as well as the fact that I might play it if I learned it... but sadly it was to complicated for me to really pick up.

Last edited by Materia User; 09-06-2011 at 05:31 AM.
Unread 09-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Citizen

To each their own I guess. I was too busy going kyaa over the couples and enjoying the intensity of the matches to care about the rules while watching Saki.
Unread 07-24-2014, 03:53 PM
Resting SupermodResting Senior mod Exp'
Flightleader Dragon

Points: 51,883, Level: 100 Points: 51,883, Level: 100 Points: 51,883, Level: 100
+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry+Masamune+ Has shown honour and chivalry
Send a message via MSN to +Masamune+ Send a message via Skype™ to +Masamune+

i finally got around to watching this and being an F-Zero fan i LOVED this
i loved the art, the simplistic but gripping plot, and the racing... those races with the amazing music got me hyped to play some racing games like you wouldn't believe
for me it was an easy 10/10

"Tell me what you cherish the most, give me the pleasure of taking it away."